Friday, March 9, 2007


Shaun of the Dead was a brilliant comedy that paid homage/took the piss out of some iconic horror movies and stuck the knife into the rom-com genre too. I believe one of the tag lines was ROM COM ZOM...inspired!
HOT FUZZ references so many American cop/action movies a lot of them will escape unnoticed...mostly because of the movie's Englishness. Simon Pegg & Nick Frost make me almost pee myself laughing(Spaced was a great TV show) and the cast is really strong here. I thought the first half of the movie dragged a bit but it was fun nonetheless...Once the"accidents" begin,the film shifts up a few gears with some Argento inspired sequences. One accident involving a journalist(very similar to a scene from The Omen) waiting by the village church had half audience laughing hysterically and the other half recoiling in horror...The plot seems pretty straightforward but takes a different direction... I'm glad it's already a blockbuster in the UK as it means this talented bunch get to carry on doing what they do best.With the money it's making I'm guessing they'll be able to pull off a great sci-fi genre piece next...
Sean of the Dead did it for me because i was familiar with all it's references...I'm not so familiar with some of the material here but it succeeds as mindless,action packed,gory,foul-mouthed over the top entertainment.

1 comment:

Glenn Dunks said...

Hey, glenn for Stale Popcorn here. Wasn't sure when you left that comment at my blog (about the mystery song).

It's a very famous and well-known dance outfit featuring a recently solo girl group member.